Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: Tranny popping out of second gear.

  1. #11
    Inactive Member waveoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 1999
    Posts
    712
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    All the shops want to charge me over $300 to swap the trannies. I still have to speak to a local shop that does honda swaps and see how much they charge for a swap. If it's reasonable I'm going to do the motor swap instead. My wife got me an air compressor for my b-day yesterday so I might just attempt the tranny swap myself. You're like the third person that has told me that a tranny job is pretty straightforward. If I do it, I'll just use one jack to hold the engine and another jack to use as a tranny cradle thingy. Will I really need a ball joint separator? I've heard of some people getting stuck here because of seized up hardware.

  2. #12
    Inactive Member waveoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 1999
    Posts
    712
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for the link...I already have it printed out though [img]wink.gif[/img] C-Speed's site is awesome. The pics are a BIG help. I called a shop today and they said they could get me a '98 GSR motor for $3600 and $600 for the install. Not too bad of a deal.
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by CivicR:
    ...you end up with a motor that is as powerful as yours if not more in a almost stock configuration...the best of both worlds</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I tried this EXACT line on my wife. You should of heard her bitch about how "you should save your money because the baby's coming, you need a new car anyway...blah, blah, blah". Looks like I just have to band-aid this car until I get a pay raise. I'm going to do my tranny myself and put in an ACT clutch while I'm at it. Thanks everyone for your support.

  3. #13
    Inactive Member CivicR's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 8th, 1999
    Posts
    901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    This should give you an idea of whats involved in a tranny swap...

    http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/b...ch/clutch.html

    if I were you I would opt for a full engine swap instead...you end up with a motor that is as powerful as yours if not more in a almost stock configuration...the best of both worlds

  4. #14
    Inactive Member CivicR's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 8th, 1999
    Posts
    901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    waveoff...man you have to get that wife trained [img]smile.gif[/img] ...fortunately my soon to be wife supports my hobby...actually she is wanting to buy a '96+ Civic hatch for herself so I can swap a b16a into it...which I later want to upgrade to a CRVTEC...that thing will be a monster [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img] ...she loves it...she even flew up to jersey with me for the weekend to see the NHRA import races up there...I even got to meet Lisa Kubo and Stephan Papadakis...she was so excited...I guess I am a lucky guy [img]smile.gif[/img]

    Me at the NHRA import race

    PS....by the way you can opt for a JDM b16a into you Civic....they run aprox $2500 for the everything you need for the swap...you can also sell you EX motor with the charger to make back alot of the money used for the swap...it would be worth it!!...good luck!

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ July 11, 2002 09:00 AM: Message edited by: CivicR ]</font>

  5. #15
    Inactive Member waveoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 1999
    Posts
    712
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm gradually getting her trained. [img]smile.gif[/img] I forced her to go to the dragstrip with me a few weeks ago and she loved it! She's wondering why I want to make this car faster instead of buying a V8 monster...if only she was as understanding as your lady. [img]frown.gif[/img] I looked into the b16a option and may go for that. The guy I was supposed to buy the $100 tranny off of sold it to someone else after he said I could have it. So I found another guy selling a JDM tranny from a '98 Civic for $250. He claims it has better gear ratios but I can't find any info on sohc JDM trannies. I don't know if he's trying to bullshit me or not. Anyway, the one thing that keeps me shying away from the b16a is the turbocharged power output of that motor...it's not as high as the b18 motors.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ July 11, 2002 11:15 AM: Message edited by: waveoff ]</font>

  6. #16
    Senior Hostboard Member CROM's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 1999
    Posts
    1,202
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Lightbulb

    Do the B18C1 swap. You will be happy you did down the road. Potential is the key!

    If you had a hatch, I would say differently because the B16 has the potential to make plenty of power for the much lighter hatch, but in the coupe, the B18C1 is the better option.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •